Thursday, April 5, 2012

Reflecting on the Semester

This semester has been an incredible one. I feel like I have learned and grown in ways school has never forced me to grow before. As me, Jacy, and Amy have worked on our final documentary, I have been thinking a lot about what I believe and what goals I want to set for the future.

Our documentary is about an inspirational professor named Cheri Earl. She teaches a variety of classes, but we specifically asked her about the “This I Believe” class that she created for Freshmen. As we interviewed her, I was really impressed by how well she knew herself and her own paradigms. She said that she tends to react with fear first in any stressful situation. She has had to work to strengthen her faith so that it counteracts or replaces that fear. As she was explaining this, I realized that I too tend to respond with fear first. When I face a big trial or difficult situation, I tend to get really stressed out and worry about it until it’s over. Then, I look back and say, “well, that wasn’t so bad.” I know in the scriptures we learn that faith and fear cannot coexist. So, my new goal as a Mormon artist is to strengthen my own faith so that others can gain strength from my art.

As I go forward in the BYU film program, I know that I will continue to face new obstacles and be stretched in new ways. I think that I need to learn to be more open about myself and not be afraid to speak up. I also need to be willing to take on extra projects and learn new skills on top of regular classes – not to the point of being overwhelmed, but enough that I can feel confident in myself as a filmmaker. As I do these things, and continue to work hard, I believe that I can make an impact in my own unique way. I look forward to the rest of my time in this program.

No comments:

Post a Comment