Thursday, April 5, 2012

END OF YEAR AND STUFF

Describe the ways that your final project reflects your goals as a Mormon Artist. What has the collaborative process has taught you about your own need for growth in the BYU film program?

It's hard for me to say exactly how my final project reflects my goals of being a Mormon artist. I don't really want to be considered a "Mormon" artist to be honest. I am all for upholding my values, but at the same time I want to be who I want to be without having any kind of label or being placed into a certain group of people just because of my religion. I can't really say that my final project reflects exactly Mormon values just because of its subject matter (being video games), but there are elements of family and other productive activities. I don't really know if this has to do with being Mormon, but for me, this documentary gave me a heightened awareness of human qualities that people do and don't want to show on camera. Our interviewee completely changed when on camera as far as his personality goes. He acted like a completely different person and we had a hard time getting him to show who he really was. The collaborative atmosphere taught me that I am a lot less prepared for the real world of film then I thought I was. Not that I considered myself to be cocky or anything about it (and I hope other people didn't think that about me, but you never know), but I have (what I thought to be at least) a lot of experience in the film world. A lot of things can't be taught from being on set. Film, whether fiction or documentary, is all about people skills. No matter what position you are taking you cannot learn about people without outside experience. In the end, I am just as experienced as everyone else because even though I have a lot of time on set, I need to spend more time thinking about people rather then film while on that set. If that makes any sense...

No comments:

Post a Comment