Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Giving and Receiving Feedback

Feedback, especially in an artistic community, is the gateway to true artistic expression and growth. Many can paint, sculpt or write while exercising their craft, but without the opinion of others, how can we influence them for good, or they do so to us? We are left to eat the dust by such ignorance, trapping ourselves into a heart-shaped box of self-indulgence or self-destructive denial until we are broken of one of our shells through constructive criticism. It is only by the means of being in a sharing community that we may achieve these goals.

This class has primarily taught me about being aware of others more in an anthropological-artistic clash, as well as being more willing to accept the criticism of others. While I know that I need to improve in my own ability to take constructive criticism well, I have appreciated the opportunity to collaborate with so many open-minded artists of a large myriad of backgrounds. Each element has helped me to succeed and given me new outlets to seek for help and criticism.

Blogging was something foreign to me prior to this class. While I most likely will not create my own blog right now, I do appreciate the opportunity that it provides to easily share and then almost instantly receive feedback from the populace about my works, and on the same note, to post feedback and learn to give better criticism to my peers about the things that could work or not work in their own projects. These things have helped to make me feel at home among artists striving to improve by lifting one another in an environment of learning. At the same time, we must watch our own criticisms to make sure that they are not laced nor riddled with our own bigotries, all the while not standing down from our beliefs for the sake of being true to ourselves first, and yet still being a positive and helpful source of feedback for those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment