Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cotton: I think we are supposed to do this post, but I'm not sure. Either way, I'm going for it.


My final project shows my need to be honest to the source material I am working with. With this documentary it would be easy to take out-of-context snippets and make them seem like they were said together and thereby make my subject seem crazy. This would debatably be more interesting but not at all honest. Our subject is on his way to getting his PhD in microbiology and is a very well educated person, even if his opinions go against the status quo (as has been the case with almost every revolutionary scientist). So I feel it is my responsibility as a mormon artist to capture what this person is really like, and not try to alter the story in any way as to make it dishonest.
The collaborative process has taught me that I need to be more open to other people’s ideas and trust in their strengths and abilities. I am a controlling person and can be very prideful so it’s easy for me to think that x person will do a bad job or that they might not have anything valuable to offer. This has proven to not be the case, so I need to let go of my anxious tendencies and confide that other people have talents that will better the project as a whole.
As this is my final blog post I would like to say a few final words to my fellow bloggers and bloggettes: I’m sorry if my blog posts have been angry, grouchy, cynical, and even apostate. I usually remember that I have to do these posts late at night when I need to sleep or finish other assignments. So my apologies if these posts have been this way, I’m not usually a terrible person. I love and respect you all. May the Force be with you, always.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, so your subject isn't crazy? I just kind of assumed he was...Oh, and to quote a mutual friend: "Don't apologize unless you're going to change".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you, Ryan...

    Anyway, fine words, Mr. Nicholas, about being open to other people's ideas and trusting in their strengths and abilities. That's something I've never been particularly good at, and this semester and this class have helped me learn a lot more about being more trusting of my peers. It's been really beneficial for me to see firsthand how skilled y'all are, as it makes it easier for me to trust in collaboration. I think trust is a very important aspect in any working relationship, but especially for us in our line of work. We have to trust that our comrades are as invested in our work as we are, and that's not always an easy thing to do. This final project will be a good last test of trust this semester...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow there's some awkward drama.......
    Anyway Matt nice job. I agree with what you said about telling the truth and not trying to adapt the story in order to portray something that you want. I think that a lot of times we face this challenge and some people adapt the story anyway thinking that it will be better and illustrate the moral, theme or standard that they want it to show. However, it is dishonest and we need to be blunt as Mormon artist and tell the audience how it is. I think that many times some Mormon artist are restricting themselves out of fear and I don't think we should be afraid. Yes we need to be careful about what we portray in our art for ti will reflect our thoughts, beliefs, and values of life. However, that does not mean that we should be afraid of our thoughts, beliefs and values because of what others may think or say. If you have an idea or opinion and you feel strongly about it then stand up for it. Sometimes even some Mormons may nto agree with you. For example, there was that meeting with the four BYU gay students who spoke about their challenges and coping with the Mormon culture at BYU. There was a Mormon group called the "Standard fo Liberty" which tried to shut the meeting down in fear that it would pollute the minds of their fellow church members. However, these BYU students were not encouraging the life of same sex attraction, but explaining how those with this challenge can face it and in some cases even overcome it.
    So, say it how it is, be honest, don't fear and stand up for what you think.

    ReplyDelete