Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Mark Fletcher Blog 10

This final project has taught me a lot about what it means to be a Mormon artist.  To be a Mormon artist to me is to create a piece of artwork, whether in the fields of film, paint, sculpt etc, my art needs to show my morals and standards.  That doesn't go to say that my art needs to always reflect my religion specifically, but it needs to reflect what I believe in and what morals I live by.  Many times I think that some Mormons artists are not taken as seriously because they think we will only create works of art that reflects Christ, God, stories in the Book of Mormon.  Not to say that these subjects are not worthy of art, but I would like to expand the representation of my art to be able to apply to all people; Christians, Muslims, Atheist and other people of different religious background.  I hope that my art can help more than just the people within our faith by teaching morals that can help people understand the value in living morally.  This film I think does a good job of this.  It does touch some subjects that relate to the Mormon faith, but some of those parts can be related to everyone who is facing challenges and not just a secluded number of people who have faced the challenge of returning home from the mission.  Theo Harris does a great job of telling his story to the world and not just a small number of Mormons.
I think that this project has helped me to grow in the film program a lot.  It has helped me see what I need to do as a Mormon artist and how I can best portray the benefits of living a moral life through my art.  I hope that I can improve my art still and show how its not the title of Mormon that makes us happy, but its the standards, morals and ethics we live by that makes us who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment