Friday, April 13, 2012

Last Post: Final Project

This final project helped me reflect on my goals as a Mormon Artist. One of the main reasons I love film is because film is such a wonderful and unique way to get a message across whether it be an innocent story or a lesson to be learned. All invoke some sort of emotion and it is beautiful what imagination and creativity can do.
As a Mormon artist I want to share messages to those around me. What this project has allowed me to do is to understand an individual and see what is special about that person. I was able to see that person and the story behind how he became a psychologist for BYU. Not only that but the collaborative process allowed me to capture his story in a very simple way and allow it to be visible for my classmates to see it. This in turn allows for the word of this simple BYU psychologist to be spread with a message that if you need help there is place on campus that you can find it. That was the intent and that is intent was reached in my opinion. The piece of work may not be entirely entertaining and/or funny however, there is something to be learned by that. Kelly deals with students who are going through rough patches and need help such as students with depression. As such, depression is not something to be entertained with and it is not a funny comedy. On the contrary, it’s a very serious matter. One that should be helped with professionally, such is the documentary on Kelly, serious and professional.  
SO what have I learned from this collaborative process about my own need for growth in the BYU film program? Well, I learned that in order to be successful there is a great deal of organization, communication, and teamwork involved. If my team and I had not organized the project in advanced there would have been a lot of confusion and stress. If there had not been communication nothing would have gotten done. As for teamwork, we each had our specialties that we could rely on each other for. At first I was to be the main editor. However, as technological issues arose, I had to turn to my peers and receive support and help from them and I’m grateful for that. We each pulled in our efforts which in turn helped create a project. What I need to learn is the technological part of the program so that I can be a little more independent on my part where I don’t feel stressed or overwhelmed because I can’t fix something. I have a lot to learn and I am ready to learn it all. 

1 comment:

  1. Melody forgot to mention that she did a TON of work. She brought this idea to the group, she scheduled the interview, and she communicated with Kelly for footage review. Most importantly, she was known as a great student and a fantastic RA. If she had been a slacker I doubt Kelly would have been so willing to do this. Melody was such a great team member and both assertive and humble, which can be hard to do. I learned a lot and was so thankful to learn about the Center and all the great work they are doing there. I agree with her about the importance of this message and am glad I got to be a part of the team that got this message out.

    ReplyDelete