Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hey, Did You Know This is Our Last Blog Post?

Last blog post. Weird. I am not much of a blogger. But maybe I will feel inspired to get my own blog. Probably not. But you never know.

My final project (along with Seth's and Parker's) was about this gamer named Jordan. I know next to nothing about gaming, so i found this topic really interesting. Because I think there definitely is the stereotyped "gamer" and that;s not fair because there really is so much more underneath it all. This film really helped open my eyes to the stereotypes I place on people every day. I mean it is pretty hard not to. It is something I am sure we all are guilty of. So this project really helped me take a step back and dig a little deeper. I think as Mormons, we are often stereotyped as well. I know back home, I was the "Mormon Girl." Once you have a label like that people continue to make assumptions about you that really aren't true. This project taught me that as a mormon artist, I want to make sure I don't create stereotypes or be stereotyped. It is important to to create art that is wholesome and uplifting and sticks to our values, but I dont think it needs to yell "Hey I am a Mormon!" The subtle things in life are much more effective.

Working with my wonderful teammates has been a great experience. With this project, and other ones I have worked on this semester, I have learned that you cannot do it alone. A finished film is a culmination of a bunch of different people doing different things, that become one big whole thing when put together. If that makes sense. I've learned that in order to grow in this program, I need to help on as many films as I can getting experience doing different things. I hope to gain lots of experience in these next few years, so that when the time comes,  I am able to survive out in the world. Well I couldn't think of a better first semester in the program and it so crazy it is already pretty much over. But I am so excited for everything to come.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you said what you said about stereotypes because every last person is different and we can never fully group people together. It is true that the subtle messages are the biggest, or at least the most powerful. What a powerful statement you made, that “it is important to create art that is wholesome and uplifting and sticks to our valuse.” Haza, what else can be said?

    ReplyDelete