Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blog 10-Turek

Perhaps the biggest portion of my final project that reflects my goals as a Mormon artist is my final project. Obviously, I want to be a Mormon filmmaker, hence the reason I'm in the film program.  This being the case, my final goals are to be making films.  I want to be able to create films that will speak to others, or that will at least have some sort of worth to others.  In this sense, this final project reflects my goals as an artist, because it is the art form that I want to create for a living.  There are, however, other less obvious themes found in the film, and in Jordan, that express my own feeling towards my art.  For example, Jordan states that he is frustrated by the stereotypes that others build up about gamers.  I feel this way about filmmakers.  Often, I see people express concern when I tell them that I am majoring in film.  This is generally followed by one or two things. 1) "Really?  Can you get a job with that?" or 2) "You're probably the next Steven Spielberg, I bet!"  Honestly, both of these seem too extreme of stereotypes to be true.  Can I get a job with my film degree?  Most certainly.  Film is an industry that is almost always stable.  Even if the pay isn't too substantial, I will hopefully be able to find a career in film in some aspect.  However, I certainly don't expect to become a world renown director.  Anything that will make a living will do for me.  Much like Jordan, I feel like the stereotypes centered around my career choices are a bit ridiculous.
Being in the program for just a semester has caused me to learn a lot.  True filmmaking is far more work than the simple works I did in high school.  I have learned that a large aspect of filmmaking is being able to work with others.  For me, this has been slightly difficult, as I always hated group projects in high school, and considered myself a "lone wolf".  (Insert snarky hipster comment here).  Yet, on this project, and the others that I've done like it this semester, I've found that group work can be immensely helpful.  I get far too stressed out trying to figure everything out for a shoot.  However, you do have do make some creative concessions when working with others, which is actually helpful sometimes.  There are pros and cons to working with others, but overall, I find it to be generally helpful.

2 comments:

  1. UGGGGH.
    My post looks really dumb now. Forgive me.
    But no, yeah, I understand your frustration with film major stereotypes. People always think I am flying around in jets and kissing girls with big eyelashes.

    But I'm scared of flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s funny you should mention hating group projects in high school because I was actually the same way. However, surprisingly, I’ve actually liked most of the group projects I’ve done in my film classes. I feel like everyone who is in this major is a hard-worker and they’re willing to do whatever it takes and help whomever they need to in order to get the work done. I think it’s because we all know how hard it is to make a movie. Also, remind me to buy you that “Lone Wolf” helmet Charlie’s friend painted before you leave on your mission. And Jacob, I wish this were facebook so I could like your comment.

    ReplyDelete