Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Mormon Artist Podcast -- Aaron Barlow

Mormon Artist Podcast

Podcast: Aaron Barlow


What are your project's strengths and weaknesses as a podcast?

I feel that while the music in the podcast echoes the sentiment that the artist is describing, it may become distracting to others. I can see, however, also how the subject was entertaining to speak to and is clearly passionate about his life and his work, that perhaps I could have focused more in the final interview questions less about his family life and beginnings as an artist and focused more on his goals as to where he plans to go from here. All in all, I feel good about it, but I recognize that there are clear areas that could be improved upon.


What did you learn about yourself as an artist while creating this project?

While creating this project, I learned that each person has their own set of struggles and hopes in achieving their artistic dreams and expressions, and it has made me ponder more upon what I must focus on in order to achieve such lofty goals. I always respect stage musicians who are down to earth, because they remind me that we need to be people first, and then become an artist naturally and fluidly through coming to achieve our own sense of being.


What does it mean to you to be a Mormon artist?

I believe that our system of beliefs become manifest regardless of the artistic medium. The more that we find of ourselves, then the more of ourselves that we can then find in our work. As a Mormon artist, it seems unnecessary to always write or sing songs about church, but instead one can tell the story as it is, unfettered by obtuse and poorly drawn human artistic integrities. We are who we become, and this has taught me that we must have a clear vision of our future if we are to redeem our past.


No comments:

Post a Comment